Thursday, September 1, 2011

AZ-SOS Mohonk Two Day Epic: Part 2


Specific Training

Here is a brief review of training specific to my preparation for AZ-SOS Mohonk 2-Day Epic.  This is my second blog entry relevant to this endeavor. The first entry can be accessed here.

I regard American Zofingen Long Course Duathlon (AZ) as being the more challenging of the two days and hence, I am focusing my training on getting through Day 1 gracefully, with plenty of energy and passion remaining for Survival of the Shawangunks (SOS) on Day 2.

Bike:

Given the vertical challenge of both the bike and run courses for AZ, many of my sessions have focused on developing climbing strength at a low-to-moderate heart rate.

In late March, I began sustained climbing sessions on the bike.  Mountain Rest Road (Mtn. Rest), just west of New Paltz has served as my “mentor” for climbing.  Ascending the Shawangunk Ridge from the east side, Mtn. Rest provides a steady 2 ½ mile hill with 850’ of elevation.  Near the top there is a short pitch with grades that briefly hit 14%.

From the west side, Mtn. Rest ascends just 700 feet in about 2 ½ miles.  The ascent is easier than the east side, but the steep pitches near the top are more sustained.  The AZ bike course ascends from this direction.  However, on the AZ bike course, just before turning on to Mtn. Rest, there is a short steep curving climb with grades around 14%.  Lately, I can’t resist dropping down to the bottom of this section to begin my west side ascents.

In the early season, I rode my trusty “war horse” – an ancient Cannondale rigid fork MTB – with one working chainring (38T), and 5 working gears in the back.  (Top and bottom gears on the cassette are out of commission.  At least the brakes are 100%.)  In the early season, I really emphasize a slow cadence (40-55 rpm) as I strive to guide the bike straight up the hill with a flat low back and engaged pelvic core.

I am a strong proponent for training on the stationary stand – where I do all of my interval work – but I have to “take it to the real hills” when it comes to developing climbing strength and technique.  Efficient climbing requires a lot of lateral stabilization to keep from weaving and to translate pelvic core strength into pedaling power.  I am now beginning to use the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Stationary Trainer for this kind of training, but there is no substitution for Mother Nature’s hills.  Mountain Rest Road rules!!

Since I do a lot of work on the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Stationary Trainer, it is always a treat to get outdoors (especially in the early spring).  Mtn. Rest is a beautiful road that gives me inspiration for hill repeats.

These repeats take 14-20 minutes at a low-to-moderate heart rate.  My emphasis is not on speed – it is on stability, efficiency and functional strength.  Maintaining a low heart rate will be crucial for AZ-SOS in two ways.  First, I will conserve glycogen and burn more fat for fuel.  This metabolic emphasis is crucial for multi-day events.  Second, I want to minimize the chances for cramping, especially for Day 2.  Given that SOS is sequenced as a bike-run-swim-run-swim-run-swim-run, athletes have accumulated 30 miles of cycling and 18 miles of running before the final swim.  (I will have accumulated 38 miles of running and 114 miles of biking in the two days before the final swim.)  Any athlete who has experienced leg cramps while swimming knows just how difficult it can be.  Swimming with fatigued legs – i.e., immediately after prolonged running – creates perfect conditions for cramping.  (In the final blog of this series, I will discuss more of my strategy for minimizing the potential for cramps.

Another key bike workout in my preparation for AZ-SOS is “Tabatta Intervals” on the stationary stand.  After a patient warm-up – including “Yin/Yangs” (more on these in the upcoming Zendurance Cycling Project) – I execute 8-12 20-second intervals at the highest intensity I can muster.  Each interval is followed by just 10 seconds rest.  So, in 6 minutes, I do (12X) 20 seconds all-out.  This is a short and effective way develop VO2-max, and to train my neuromuscular for maximum muscle fiber recruitment.

In the preceeding blog, I mentioned another stationary workout – 10 minute intervals at 20-minute threshold pace.  I execute these on my tri bike, since this workout is most relevant to race-pace training for half-irons.  While this format may not be directly relevant to AZ-SOS, it is essential to my performance cycling.  As I get closer to the actual event, I have modified this to intervals 2-5 minutes each.  In the final few weeks, I have eliminated these sessions..

Finally, I also execute sessions of varying duration where I focus on maintaining a cadence over 100 rpm.  Often, I follow-up my stationary sessions with a run consisting of either race pace on flat-to-rolling terrain, or hill repeats of ~ 75 seconds.  Then, I will return to the stationary stand and spin a cadence of 103-108 rpm for 10-15 minutes, keeping my pedal stroke smooth and my rate of exertion low.  This conditions my legs to maintain a smooth efficient pedal stroke when fatigued.

I also execute bike sessions 60-180 minutes in duration sustaining a cadence of 100-105 rpm throughout.  I do this workout on outside on flat roads to keep the intensity easy.  I remain aero for the entire time and workout on sighting down the road without craning my neck.  Often, I do this workout one week before a race – to put the “finishing touches” on my pedal stroke.  Occasionally, I do it as a recovery session the day after a track running workout. 

The specific relevance of high-cadence sessions to AZ-SOS is that I will begin Day 2 by spinning on flat terrain for almost 60 minutes.  This will be instrumental in preparing my legs for the rest of SOS – flushing the circulation system and loosening tight muscles and connective tissues.

Run:

As with my cycling workouts, my running workouts focused on developing strength – for both ascending and descending.  Descending steep hills – walking or running – takes eccentric contractile strength.  If you have ever felt very sore for days after steep downhill hiking or running, rest assured, you just pushed the limits of your eccentric leg strength.  Eccentric strength will be very important during AZ-SOS:  What goes up 2,000 feet (total elevation gain during the 20 miles of running AZ) must come down 2,000 feet.)  I don’t want to wake up on Day 2 with trashed legs.

As with cycling, ascending strength for running is important not just for the ability to get up all those trails, but also to minimize the possibility of cramping.

A significant workout in my “running diet” has been Mohonk Trail runs in the Vibram 5-Fingers.  These have ranged from 2-5 hours in length, mostly on the trails of the AZ run course loop.  Like the bike climbing sessions, the intensity level is low-to-moderate.  I preface these long hilly trail runs 10-20 minutes of easy cycling (to get me to the trails).  This helps to warm-up my legs and get the synovial fluids circulating through my joints, since these runs begin almost immediately with steep ascents.

For these sessions, I will enter the trail system from the east flank of the ridge with a Camelbak and a collection of bottles or flasks of Hammer Nutrition – usually Heed and Perpetuem.  This is a fairly steep and sustained ascent on technical single-track – a good warm-up and strength session for my calves.  Once I ascend to thee ridge top and intercept the AZ trail loop next to the Bonitcou Cliffs, I stash most of this equipment and carry a single bottle and flask with enough water and nutrition for a one-hour loop.

The AZ run course trail loop (wisely) combines steep, technical single-track ascents with more gradual, smoother carriage-trail descents.  (This may be the only rational aspect of the AZ race.  Remember the race shirts include slogans like “You’ll laugh – you’ll cry – you’ll puke.  Okay, maybe you won’t laugh.”) 

I focus on maintaining a reasonable stride cadence on the ascents (I don’t want anyone thinking I’m just trudging – even if I am).  On the steepest pitches I side-step rather than orienting my feet directly up the hill – especially in the 5-Fingers.  (OK, I am trudging – but my heart is still pumping calmly in my chest.) As soon as I complete an ascent, I increase my cadence and tempo immediately for the flats and the descents.  Shorter stride length and faster turnover are essential for running endurance to gracefully finish AZ-SOS.

In the previous blog, I reviewed my race season leading up to AZ-SOS.  In hind-sight it is a blessing that conditions discouraged me from travelling to compete in Pigman.  The broken toe from AZ in mid-May had prevented me from running the trails for a month.  Then, I was so focused on regaining speed for racing that I delayed these trail runs for another 5 weeks.  On Wednesday, 10 August, - 3 days after Cayuga Lake Triathlon – I did a 140-minute trail run.  Wow, I had lost a lot of eccentric strength – my legs were sore for 4 days!  I knew that 140 minutes was not a long enough trail run to prepare my legs for the demands of 38+ miles of trail running in 30 days.  My only remaining opportunity would be 2-3 days after the Pigman Half Iron – just as we were packing, cleaning our apartment, and moving to Ithaca.

Yes, falling off my bike and cracking a rib Friday, 12 August was a blessing – even if I hear loud complaints a few hours after every significant run session, and immediately after every strength and swim session.  This incident “inspired” me to abort Pigman 6 days later – after I had begun a pre-race taper and recovery.  This recovery period prepared me well for a quality “final surge” to prepare for AZ-SOS!

Final Push:

I aborted Pigman Wednesday, 17 August.  On Thursday, 18 August, I performed a 6-hour “ping-pong” session – described in the previous blog.  The running segments of this session did not include a strong dose of hills, but the cycling segments certainly did.  I used my Serotta road bike for the cycling, since this is the bike I will be using for Day 1.

Friday 19 August:  AM: After a 60-minute Pilates/yoga strength session (“Oh, my aching rib!”) I biked easy for 20 minutes.  PM: I ran 20 minutes easy on the rail trail in the V5-F’s, with 6-8 reps of 20-second fast-paced strides.

Saturday 20 August:  AM: I started with a 40-minute cycling session on the stationary stand – including 12 Tabatta Intervals, described above.  I transitioned to a 30-minute run that included 9 high-intensity hill intervals ~75 seconds in duration.  Recovery was a light trot back to the bottom of the hill.  Again, I ran in the V5-F’s.  I transitioned back to the bike for a 10-minute spin, maintaining a cadence of 103-105 at a low-to-moderate intensity.  PM:  Betsy and I went to Minnewaska Lake.  I swam 90 minutes in the 2XU E:1 wetsuit that I will be using for SOS.  While my rib was protesting strongly the entire time, it was just so lovely there.

Sunday 21 August:  AM: I rode 20 minutes to the track.  There, I ran 65 minutes with (12X) 400-meter intervals at a 6:40-6:48 mile pace, with 200 meters recovery.  This workout helps me maintain some semblance of race fitness for half-iron competition – primarily by allowing my neuromuscular system to refine my running economy.  I finished with a 10-minute ride back home to begin packing.  I took the evening off.

Monday 22 August:  AM: I rode 100 minutes on the tri bike on flat terrain, maintaining a cadence of 100-105 rpm for 85 minutes.  PM: I swam 30 minutes with some 25-50 meter sprints (much to the dismay of my rib.)  I followed that with a 20-minute run on the rail trail in the V5F’s.  (Swim-to-run combinations are a little tough on the rib – duly noted.)

Tuesday 23 August:  AM: I rode 25 minutes easy and stashed the bike close to the trail.  I ran 300 minutes on the Mohonk trails shod in the V5F’s.  This was a wonderful rejuvenating experience.  PM: I rode 10 minutes to the pool and swam 30 minutes continuous.

Wednesday 24 August:  AM: After 55 minutes of Pilates and yoga, I focused on packing.  PM: I swam 20 minutes with some 25-50 meter sprints.  Betsy left for Ithaca today to register for school.

Thursday 25 August:  AM: I began with a 35-minute stationary cycling session with 10X Tabatta Intervals.  I followed this with a 30-minute run that included 9X hill intervals, as described for Saturday 20 August.  I rode 10 minutes to Bicycle Depot to leave my Serotta for maintenance, and ran 10 minutes on the rail trail to the condo to spend the day packing, loading the U-Haul truck and cleaning.

Friday 26 August:  AM: I swam 15 minutes for some video taping.  Then I rode 100 minutes with (18X) 2:00 steep hill climbs.  I returned to the condo to finish packing, loading and cleaning.  I finally departed New Paltz at 5:00 pm.  I exhausted – not from the training per say, but from being on my feet 14-16 hour a day as I prepared for the move.

Saturday 27 August:  Betsy and I spent the entire day – until 9:00 PM – unloading, unpacking and setting up our new home.  This was an inspiring day!

Sunday 28 August:  Tropical Storm Irene brought rain and wind to Ithaca, but nothing extreme.  Midday: I ran 120 minutes, with (8X) 10:00 steep hill climbs on Seneca Street – the street we live on.  Uh, I trudged along in the wind and rain shod in the V5F’s –awesome work for the calves.  I returned to our dry apartment and rode 20 minutes on the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll stationary trainer, maintaining a cadence of 100-108.  The Rock and Roll is so quiet – finally I have an awesome trainer that will not make enemies of my apartment building neighbors!  I spent the remainder of the day assisting Betsy with cleaning and appointing our new home.  What a rewarding pleasure after all that work!

Monday 29 August:  No soreness from the eccentric contraction of those steep descents yesterday – I know I’m ready (as I will be) for AZ-SOS!  With all these intense days of re-locating behind, I embarked on the Serotta under beautiful skies for a long ride.  I rode to Geneva and back – a 7 hour ride on quiet windy farm roads with rolling hills and beautiful views.

Tuesday 30 August:  AM:  After a restless night – not surprising after riding all day yesterday – I did a 50-minute strength and stretch session, with a 20-minute easy bike ride to do some errands.  PM:  I attempted an easy run, but from our home, it’s all hills. 

My significant training is complete.  For the remainder of this week, I have kept the training unstructured enough so I can explore and find some suitable running routes.  I have done very little swimming, but keep in mind that – until I left New Paltz – I was still conducting swim technique instruction.  I have not worked out any pool access in Ithaca yet, but we leave tomorrow (Friday) for New Paltz and Greenwich Connecticut to conduct a Total Immersion weekend workshop.  Consequently, Saturday and Sunday will be days of zero training.

I will then remain in New Paltz for the final week, working privately with clients at the Swim Studio.  My final training sessions will include some short, intense intervals (stationary stand for the bike, track for the run) to stimulate anabolic response.  I will also get to the SUNY pool for some 30-minute pool sessions... and hope that my rib doesn’t protest too much!

In the final blog, I will discuss my equipment choices and the finer points of my strategy for gracefully completing AZ-SOS.  At this writing (Thursday evening, 01 September) the race course for SOS is uncertain.  Irene wreaked havoc in the area, and Minnewaska State Preserve remains closed. 

Who knows what is in our future?  Uncertainty is the elixir of life.

Shane Eversfield  ironzen@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment