Wednesday, September 7, 2011

AZ-SOS Mohonk Two Day Epic: Part 3

Strategy

This is the third entry in a series of blogs recounting my preparation for the AZ-SOS Mohonk Two Day Epic.  The first entry summarizes my 2011 multisport race season leading up to this event.  The second entry discusses my training specific to AZ-SOS (and hence, some of my strategy).  In this entry, I will present some other elements of my basic strategy – approach, pacing, nutrition and equipment – for the event.

Approach:

A few weeks ago, I spoke with a friend who had recently completed Ironman Lake Placid – her first.  She was satisfied with her results and really enjoyed the experience overall.  As it is for many first-time Iron people – who set realistic goals, who are well-prepared and adequately trained – her experience was transforming and empowering.  Our conversation progressed to SOS, her next race.

At this point, she hinted at a bit of concern and uncertainty.  When I asked why, she explained that – in training for Ironman – she followed an online training program.  But no such plan exists for a race as unique as SOS.  As someone who has never followed a training program, I had not considered this.  While I certainly employ my intellect when I train and race, it is my intuition that provides orientation for navigating the complex dynamics of training for an endurance event – whether conventional or unique.  And ultimately, this is not just about training for a race; it is about balancing the pursuit of athletic excellence with the pursuit of life excellence.  

If I do not engage and exercise my intuition, there is no art, no creativity!  This is, for me, the source of passion that keeps me inspired and oriented in the pursuit of multisport excellence.

Considering that many athletes rely on training plans, I realized that offering some examination of my preparation for AZ-SOS might instruct and encourage them to trust and develop their intuition and creativity as valuable navigational aids.

I have shied away from coaching others because I cannot, in good conscience, provide others with a training program when I myself do not follow one.  Most nights, when I retire, I have a fairly clear notion of what I will do for training the next day – but I do not know for certain until I am actually preparing for that training session.  And, it is not uncommon for me to “jump tracks” in the beginning or even in the middle of a session.  When the body speaks, the brain must listen!  For more on this intuitive approach – specifically the cellular dialogue between body and brain, please visit this link.  The cellular dialogue can be as clear and articulate for me as reading this paragraph.  (Uh, I hope my writing is clear and articulate.)

In Part 2 of this blog series, I included a brief journal detailing two weeks of training crucial to my preparation for AZ-SOS – while I was also juggling a broken rib and the task of moving from New Paltz NY to Ithaca NY.  Again, each day I had a fairly clear notion of the training session I set out to execute, but I did revise some of these sessions on-the-fly.  Flexibility is essential for balancing the glorious athlete with the ordinary human being.

So, the most fundamental elements of my approach to preparing and training for AZ-SOS are intuition, creativity, patience and flexibility.  With these “virtues”, a highly-motivated individual like me (who has, in the past, gloriously over-trained and experience Chronic Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome on more than one occasion) can masterfully orchestrate the cycle of stress-recovery-adaptation and remain healthy, passionate and injury free.

Strategy:

In the two previous entries, I described much of my strategy for this event as I discussed my training.  For ultra and multi-day stage events, an athlete must train the body to metabolize fat for fuel and conserve glycogen.  (Typically during these types of events, I loose only a few pounds.)   A key element of my daily training practice that supports efficient fat metabolism: I refrain from ingesting any calories before I begin my morning training.  Once I have begun to exercise, I begin to fuel with Hammer Nutrition – either Heed, Perpetuem and/or Hammer gels. (See the discussion on Nutrition below.) You can research this practice on Hammer’s website.

Pacing:

In both training and racing, the athlete’s pace must respond to the duration and difficulty of the event.  Given that this is a two-day/stage event, fat metabolism is the key to endurance and minimal cramping.  Day One is a self-supported endeavor – not a race.  It includes a respectable and challenging topography.  Therefore, my pace – even as I ascend hills – must be at or below my aerobic threshold.  This is where I best metabolize fat for fuel.  If I get close to or exceed my aerobic threshold, I begin to use proportionately more carbohydrate and muscle-stored glycogen.  I want to avoid this – especially during the first day.

As mentioned in the previous entries, I have trained myself to ascend challenging hills – both bike and run – at a low intensity, maintaining a degree of relaxation and ease.  This pace regulation is as much about efficient technique as it is about aerobic capacity.  Much of my bike and run training is focused on efficient climbing technique.  Critical to this is my alliance with gravity.  The body’s ability to align with gravity is called “proprioception”.  For over three decades I have started each day with 20 minutes of T’ai Chi practice.  I practice T’ai Chi with my eyes closed.  It is an effective way to refine my proprioception – and this is the most essential element of my craft as an endurance athlete.

The bottom line:  My pacing for this event will be slow – I will be using my “diesel motor”.  It takes patience to keep a slow and graceful pace when one knows that it is going to be a long day.  (Day1 will be 11-12 hours).  Here is the secret to ultra events:  All you have to do is execute this stride, this stroke perfectly.  That is the most you can do.  It is pointless and wasteful to project 50 or 100 miles down the road.  There is nothing you can do here and now that will affect the outcome that far ahead – except to execute the next stride perfectly.  It’s called “Be Here Now!”

Nutrition:

For AZ-SOS, and for all of my races – long or short – I fuel exclusively with Hammer Nutrition products.  I rarely ingest anything solid at all – even for multi-day events.  For events/sessions over 2 hours, I rely mostly on Perpetuem (for fuel) and Endurolytes (for electrolytes).  I also supplement with Anti Fatigue (ammonia buffer), Race Caps Supreme, and Endurance Aminos.  For goal races, I use Race Day Boost for the four days prior to the event.  (Again, you can learn more about all of these products at Hammer’s website.)  I use some of Hammer’s supplements daily as well.

I will also use Heed during the event, for variety from Perpetuem.  I won’t use much caffeine on Day 1 (although Pertpetuem is available with caffeine in some of the flavors), because I hope to sleep some between the two days.  (Typically, I don’t sleep well after a long day.)

Equipment:

Given the terrain and road conditions on Day 1, I have elected to use my Serotta road bike for the 84 miles of cycling.  While my Cervelo P3 is lighter and more aerodynamic, the steel frame Serotta is far more comfortable and a bit safer to navigate on rough roads with lots of debris.  (There is plenty of debris on the roads after Hurricane Irene.)  I will use a 12-27 cassette – especially since I use a standard 53-39 crankset instead of a compact.

I will use the Cervelo P3 triathlon bike for Day 2.  Much of the SOS bike course is flat; the distance is much shorter, and the change in riding position provides a change in pedaling biomechanics from Day 1, which will be a refreshing change to my legs.  As mentioned in a previous blog, I will maintain a high cadence for this opening segment of the SOS to loosen up my legs from the previous day’s efforts.

All of the runs on both days will be on trails of varying surface.  I expect to use the Vibram 5-Fingers Bikila model for the entire 2-day event.  I will have a few other shoe options for the American Zofingen trail loops, since I will be alternating between biking and running.  I only intend to use conventional shoes if the trails are too slippery for the V5F’s.  As I learned this past May during the actual AZ race, the 5-mile run loop can get very slippery!

While the 5-Fingers offer minimal protection for my soles, and virtually zero support or stability, I am addicted to the tactility these “gloves for my feet” offer.  I am happy to sacrifice a little speed and protection for the enhanced quality of experience I get running in the V5F’s!  Last year for the SOS, I used the KSO model of the V5F’s.  These foot gloves have considerably less thickness in the soles than the Bikilas.  I had to really pick my through the trail terrain for the 18.7 miles of trail running.  (The acorns that were falling during the early autumn were particularly “noticeable” to my feet.)  While this increased the challenge of the race, I was so engaged in each moment, with each foot contact, that I was astounded how fast the time past.

The biggest thrill in using the V5F’s is the instant transition between running and swimming.  (Keep in mind that SOS has a run-swim-run-swim-run-swim-run sequence through pristine wilderness.  Participants must carry all run gear during the swims and all swim gear on the runs.)  The V5F’s offer very minimal deterrence to swimming.  With the V5F’s run/swim/run transitions are instant and seamless!

As I did last year, I will be wearing a 2XU E:1 Wetsuit cut off above the knees once I transition from the bike to the run/swim volley.  For me, the lake water is cold in mid-September!  Last year, many athletes exited the 1.1-mile Awosting Lake swim hypothermic and had to be revived before they could continue.  The weather last year was cool and drizzly.  I was comfortable running in the wetsuit, and only elected to peel off the top for the third run (a distance of 8 miles).  As I approached the final swim, I slipped back into the top of the wetsuit.

Equipment selection is always the hot topic among SOS participants.  This is not to be taken lightly!  Hypothermia is a critical consideration in SOS.  And blisters can be a significant deterrent when running with wet feet (a total of 14.3 miles after the first swim).  The 2XU E:1 wetsuit and the Vibram 5-Fingers worked really well last year – my first year of SOS.  I’m gonna stick with this winning combination!

Clothing is also an important factor for both days.  Of particular importance to me is compression wear on my legs to minimize cramping.  For both days, I will be wearing a 2XU compression triathlon suit, as well as 2XU compression calf sleeves.  (The compression tri suit will also help to stabilize the rib I cracked 4 weeks before the event.)  These two clothing articles are essential to me.  For many years, I have been very loyal and faithful to both 2XU triathlon apparel and wetsuits, and to Hammer Nutrition.  I am very grateful to both of these companies for their support and sponsorship over the years.

Thanks!

Along with 2XU, Hammer Nutrition and Serotta Custom Bicycles, I am very grateful to Catskill Mountain Multisport and Bicycle Depot – both in New Paltz – for their excellent service and support.  Also, I am grateful to Kurt Kinetic for supplying me with a superior stationary trainer – the Rock and Roll Trainer.

I am grateful to Meme Hanley and Gretchen Reed at Mohonk Preserve for their valuable assistance in fund-raising.  Don Davis, SOS Race Director, is a true inspiration and mentor for me.

And I am very grateful to all of you who have made donations to the Mohonk Preserve.  Your support is a clear and personal indication to me that, as I pursue my dreams and visions, I can serve and benefit others.  I am so fortunate!

I will compose a post-event recollection of AZ-SOS shortly after the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment